Sunday 4 September 2011

More Galaxy and beautiful silk embroidery


Hi everyone,
Currently in Adelaide, South Australia is hosting the OZAsia Festival which runs from 2-17 September, 2011.

The showcase country this year is Japan and as part of the festival the Adelaide Festival Centre is exhibiting the NUIDO World Embroidery Exhibition, 31 August to 16 October 2011. This means we get to see some of the most exquisite and beautiful Japanese kimono’s, obi’s and stitched Japanese embroidery pieces.
I was very honoured to be able to attend the opening of the exhibition as well as the celebration dinner which afforded me the opportunity to meet Staff and members of Kurenai-Kai, Japan and the Japanese Embroidery Centre, Atlanta, USA.  12 Ladies from Kurenai-Kai were there dressed in their hand stitched kimono’s and obi’s.

You may wonder why I am talking about Japanese embroidery when my stitching world is canvas.  This exhibition is just ‘eye candy’ in the extreme, I may never stitch this technique but I do have at least 3 friends who are at Phase Level 10 and above and I enjoy watching their stitching triumphs and it was wonderful to see their stitching and Japanese beading on display to the public.
If you love looking at beautiful embroidery here is a link to a very talented embroiderer and teacher living in South Australia, Margaret Lee 

Now to Galaxy. I am down to the last few squares with 2 medium squares and about 4 smaller ones to complete.

Here is the latest photo.

Happy holiday on Monday for all in the USA, bye for now, Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment